Flood insurance is not covered on most Washington State homeowners insurance policies. Even if you live in a low flood probability area, such as a hill, a backed up storm drain could divert water onto your property and the homeowner could be stuck with thousands of dollars in uncovered damage.

Flood Insurance

You don’t need to live near water to be at risk for flood damage.

two people assessing flood damage

According to National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), nearly 20% of flood insurance claims come from moderate to low-risk areas of the country. Floods can be caused by storms, hurricanes and even melting snow. Just a few inches of water can cause major damage to your home.

Homes, office parks and parking lots are springing up in place of forests, meadows, and other open spaces. As a result, the land is losing its natural ability to absorb water and floods are becoming more severe.

At Liberty Mutual, we want you to have the peace of mind that comes from knowing your home is protected. To determine if flood insurance is right for your situation you can contact the Velocity Insurance Group (formerly Duda Insurance) team at:


Flood coverage must be purchased as a separate policy as flood damage is not covered under homeowner policies.

Common Questions About Flood Insurance

Take these steps to protect your home from potential flood damage:

  • Use water-resistant building materials.
  • Leave the basement or lower floors unfinished.
  • Prevent sewer lines from backing up— install backflow valves or standpipes.
  • Raise your washer and dryer, water heater, oil tank, furnace or any electrical wiring on concrete blocks, above the base flood elevation (BFE). If you can’t raise these items, consider protecting them with a floodwall or shield.
  • Install flood shields or built-up barriers for basement windows and doors. The tops of the shields and barriers should extend above the BFE.
  • Install and maintain a sump pump system if you have below-grade floors.
  • Landscape with native plants and vegetation that resist soil erosion.
Note: Information provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) brochure, Protect Your Home Against Flood Damage. View the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) website.